The Hill Farm Internship is a unique position that offers the dynamic opportunity to gain deep experience and diverse skills in the realm of sustainable agriculture. Working directly with the Farm Manager, the intern will be involved in all aspects of the farm, including: planting and maintenance of sustainable and organic vegetable production; community engagement and education; direct marketing and sales; and helping to establish a farming model for long-term success. A more detailed look at key training objectives and responsibilities (which include but are not limited to):
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- • Active support of a year round diversified vegetable farm, including planting; cultivation; pest, disease and weed management; irrigation; compost systems; harvest and post-harvest handling; quality control; sales and distribution.
- • Active support of the on-site farm stand, CSA program, restaurant and farmers’ market sales and deliveries, in addition to community markets.
- • Assist in Health, Food Access and Community Building: Access to affordable produce can play a critical role in transforming the health and well being of children, adults and society at large.
- • Assist in mentoring youth in farm skill competencies and knowledge, educational programs for educating and hosting field trips and an after school program for both the local school district and inviting outside public and private schools to join.
- • Assist in Farm produce/product acquisition and distribution - Farm share deliveries/pickups, partner farm add-ons/produce pickup, acquiring necessary Farm supplies, amending market cash box at bank, produce donations etc.
- • Assist Farm Manager in other tasks as needed for the vision of The Hill Farm
- • Passionate about sustainable agriculture and interested in growing in this field.
- • Able to give and receive thoughtful feedback
- • Able to learn quickly and adapt to changing systems
- • Interested in both collaborating with others and working independently
- • Ready to work alongside a small, hard-working team at a mission-driven organization on the front lines of youth development, social justice, and innovative food system work
Click HERE for more information!